Tuesday, October 5, 2010

JavaScriptCore via Terminal

Just a quick one, maybe only for a new Mac comer as I am, I found truly annoying I have already Python, Ruby, and even PHP everywhere available in my command line but not JavaScript?

What The Fuck

Even Windows runs .js files natively and since ages, I wonder why on earth after I have downlaoded the whole XCode SDK "my JavaScript" was not there available for all my needs.

OK, OK, node.js is already on /bin, linked and working properly, but now I have the system default JavaScript Engine that comes automatically with WebKit or the "IE for Mac" aka Safari.

How to link jsc to bin folder

A title that produces zero outcome on Google, could be hopefully better addressed via this blog, and this is how I have solved:

sudo ln -F /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/jsc /usr/bin

The Current folde ris the link to the latest one, all those threads about the ..../A/... folder are not automatically updated if A becomes B, as example.
So, now I can type jsc wherever I am and use JavaScript power whenever I want, writing just quit() anytime I need.
I hope this helps, it took a while for me to sort it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment